Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Warmth of Love



In recent days I have truly felt the love of God in ways I can't even imagine. It's like nothing I can explain in words; He has quite literally enveloped me with his warmth and compassion. I have always known and I've been told over and over again that Jesus Loves Me and I am a blessed Child of God. But I took these words for granted and until now, never realized the power they held.

I have always seen God's love through answers to prayer, the simple things in life, and through the people around me. But I have not felt it to this extent until now. And it is something that should be thoroughly shared to the ends of the earth.

I can't say that I've ever felt that there was a message or characteristic of Himself that God was trying to reveal through me as obviously as He is trying to show me this. His Never-Failing,
Overflowing Love. Perhaps that's because he tries to show me things all the time and I am totally oblivious so finally he is knocking his hand on my thick head to get through to me. Either way, I am so thankful.

Sometimes I find myself getting so down on myself, and frustrated, and angry, and at the point of tears, and then I flip on Z88.3 and hear a song that perfectly reflects how I should never feel that way because the God the Universe sees me as his Child and loves me no matter what I do wrong or how bad I mess up.

Thinking of this subject makes me think of Rob Bell and his Nooma (a short demonstrative, informative, awesome video) called Flame. It was the first one I saw of his Nooma series and I fell in love with his message, his voice, and the Lord all over again. I feel that in order to understand the overpowering love that Christ has for me, I want to really comprehend the way He wants me to love. Because we are supposed to be Christ-like and love people like He did.

The following is a brief description of the 3 different Hebrew translations that Rob Bell talks about for the word love.

Raya - translated simply as brotherly love or the way you can trust a friend. A soulmate. This has the commitment, the friendship and the trust part of love.

Ahava - the deep passionate love you have for a person. The way you feel when you don't want to be with anyone else. Rob Bell talks about his first date with his now wife and how he remembers thinking "I would rather be here. With her. Than anywhere else in the Universe". How absolutely breathtaking. It is much more passionate than a temporary feeling, Ahava is what makes things last.

Dod - To carouse, to rock, to fondle. This is the physical, sexual aspect of love.

See, one flame burning by itself will never burn as bright as all 3 burning together. Using just one flame without the others is not how it was meant to be. You need to bring all three together to live out the way God wired you to be.

Here is the link to Bell's Nooma video. I encourage you to watch it, it is incredible.

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." - John 15:12-13

No comments:

Post a Comment