Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Very Black Friday

Mayhem. When asked how working black friday was, that was my initial reaction. Absolute chaos. Noisy, uncontrollable chaos. Interestingly enough, I work at The Children's Place. Not your first thought when you think of great deals on the wonderful day of buying things at 4 in the morning.

My shift was 4am-1:30pm. Nine and a half excruciating hours of being on my feet, with the exception of a 30 minutes break. Don't get me wrong, I do like my job, and I am more than thankful to have it. But 4am is slightly ridiculous.

Many people doubted Children's Place when I told them we were open at 4am. They thought, "noone would possibly be anxiously awaiting for you to open." Oh but they were. Atleast 10 people were waiting when we open in the wee hours of the morning.

Now, this is my first Black Friday experience. I've never been a part of it, worked it, or had anything to do with it before and I must say, it is definitely as dangerous and exciting as it is cracked up to be.

From a Marketing perspective, it is genius and had become a worldwide known doorbuster event. It intrigues me, as anything with sales does, how people can become so deal-crazy on this one day of the year.

We had everything in the store 30% off before noon which is kinda a big deal. And we made a large sum of money.

A little business history for you, the reason it's called Black Friday is because it is the one day a year that business work hard to be "in the black" as opposed to a lot of businesses being "in the red" or negative in profit. So a lot of company make huge sales and profits on this day after Thanksgiving tradition.

I was anxious to see the outcome of people that would come, but was not excited to leave my family so soon on Thanksgiving break. I got less than two days to spend with them. A short but very sweet visit.

Here is a photo I snapped as I drove past Best Buy around 3:45am.














Sorry it's a little blurry, I was trying to not look creepy.

All in all, it was an interesting experience and I learned that some people are crazy for deals, not that I blame them.
Glad to be done with it, but looking forward to next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment